Thursday, May 16, 2013

Bout of Books Days 2-4 Update

So, forgot to update you on my progress for a couple days, too busy reading.

On Tuesday I started reading Identical by Ellen Hopkins, and last night, or this morning technically at 4:30 am, I finished it.

It was absolutely fantastic.  Raw. Real. Disturbing. Mind-blowing. 

It tells the story of two twins, Raeanne and Keiliegh who live with their abusive father, who starts to sexually abuse one of the twins.  It's a really dark story about the painful reality of sexual abuse and how it affects everyone surrounding it, mentally and physically. 

Again, such a brilliant read.  I really am so glad I finally read it.  I had bought this book at Ellen's signing at my local library over three years ago.  Can't believe it took me so long to read it.

Please check this novel out, but only if you have the stomach to read it.  It really is an important book with a powerful set of life lessons.

Now then, today I decided to read I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Shroeder.

This book was a pleasant surprise.  I had bought it a long time ago, at Hastings.  I can't even remember how long ago, before I got Identical I'm sure. And ironically, I finished reading it in the very store I bought it in today.  Just cause I wanted to relax and read in an environment of books.

Anyway, this book is about a fifteen year old girl named Ava whose struggling with the grief of losing her boyfriend.  Twist is, she starts seeing his ghost in her house. 

I truly enjoyed this book.  It was a great little novel about the grief process, that almost made me cry in public.  I got chills reading it in the bookstore, like feely chills.  It was really good.  If you like a good short verse novel, or books about grief, I highly recommend this one.

I also started reading Chain Reaction by Simone Elkeles tonight. 

Going to try finishing this one soon, I'm enjoying it so far.

Hope you're all doing well on your challenges.  Keep reading everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment